Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Some Responses to Media Coverage

A number of articles have followed a wrong thread in an early AP article which suggested that I was showing up as a woman on SAU's campus in 2005. Other than my long nails and modest make-up, I have not been on SAU's campus as me. At their insistence I have cross-dressed (bearing false witness) and appeared as John.

I was surprised and deeply disappointed in Rev. Ramundo's omniscient declaration (2/13 article in the Jackson Citizen Patriot) on behalf of the entire church concerning my "sin", especially since he knows better. I met with Rev. Ramundo to discuss some earlier false gossip about me that was attributed to him. He apologized and indicated that he was "misquoted". He never called my need to follow the prescribed medical treatment for my medical diagnosis a sin. In fact, he was suprised when I told him that the Free Methodist Book of Discipline (which despite Rev. Ramundo's proclamations is the official voice of the church) talked about gender identity issues. In section A/331.5 it calls gender identity issues an "ethical dilemma: along with such things as "allocation of finite resources, organ transplantation, end-of-life concerns". Nowhere does the Free Methodist Book of Discipline identify my medical diagnosis or treatment as sin. Rev. Ramundo knew all of this, but decided to portray his own prejudice as the teaching of the church. For shame.

I need to correct Spring Arbor University's characterization of me as having escalated the situation. I did file an EEO complaint, but that came after the university suggested that wearing a university T-shirt to the store or golfing with SAU friends could be considered contract violations; an escalation will beyond the already clearly illegal conditions of my contract. To date, the university has still refused to identify the "Biblical principles" I have supposedly violated. I remain in full support of SAU's statement of faith.

Finally, Pastor Leo Cummings' letter to the editor (Jackson Citizen Patriot 2/13) is helpful. A rational, loving dialogue on the Bible and medical science might be helpful. It would have saved the life of Galileo, helped avoid slavery, and saved the lives of many women in Salem. Is our view of the authority of the Bible so fragile that we must react defensively to scientific truths that question our long-held beliefs? I don't think the Bible will be proven wrong, but our beliefs about what the Bible teaches have many times been shown to be in error. Most churches are now willing to acknowledge that the Bible doesn't teach that the earth is flat. Some may still be debating the fact.

10 comments:

Bruce_Almighty said...

Julie, regarding Leo: I just read his comments and I don't get the sense they are concilitory. In fact, he seems to be criticizing those who have come out against SAU. His statement that science cannot supplant Biblical truth seems to be a slam.

It breaks my heart because I have enormous respect for him. It is yet another reason why I have broken ranks with evangelical Christianity. Somehow, God is afraid of science in their view.

Bruce_Almighty said...

Perhaps I was a bit too harsh in my prior post. GLBT issues are extremely difficult to talk about calmly, especially when you have people that you care about who are within these communities.

I look at the "problem passages" and I find no satisfactory answer from either side. I'd also go on to say that I don't think the "problem passages" apply to Julie. From what I have read, this is a serious issue. The consequences of treatment could be fatal.

Forgive my rambling. This is a subject that really touches me because of my relationship to some in the GLBT community.

DC Nemesis said...

I have also found it strange that SAU says you escalated the situation by filing an EEO complaint. If they planned to claim that firing you was not in retailiation for filing the EEO complaint, their own words have betrayed them.

Bruce_Almighty said...

I wish I could edit these posts. I found another mistake. I meant to say "The consequences of lack of treatment could be fatal"

DC Nemesis said...

I figured that's what you meant.

Julie Nemecek said...

That's why I am following the treatment!

Julie Nemecek said...

Bruce-
I got the sense that Leo was talking more about tone and a plea for reasoned discourse, but his personal perspective may have also tainted the call to dialogue. I try my best to give people the benefit of the doubt until proven wrong (as I have been proven with Ramundo).

Bruce_Almighty said...

Julie,

You're right. I spent some time reading Brian McLaren yesterday afternoon and that caused me to take a chill pill. The things that drive me nuts about the evangelical community on many things, especially GLBT issues are the sanctimonial piety and moral certainity that they portray.
Folks, none of us has it all figured out.

I like McLaren's stance that we talk in sincerity and charity regarding GLBT issues and if we don't agree, come back in five years or so and see where the Spirit moves us. Repeat as needed.

Julie Nemecek said...

Good advice. Augustine said, "In essentials unity; in non-essentials liberty; in all things charity."

DC Nemesis said...

If other people are looking for the post by Leo, that can be found at: http://www.mlive.com/columns/jacitpat/index.ssf?/base/news-2/1171384503174100.xml&coll=3&thispage=2