Monday, February 12, 2007

Can Any Good Come of This?

The title above is my attempt to paraphrase a number of critics who think my dad should just "pack it in and find a new job." I responded earlier today to someone expressing similar sentiment. Right after replying, I found an e-mail in my inbox from a pastor who is close to what is going on with my father. I can't say whether he'd support my father or SAU (possibly neither), but here is what he had to say:

Last week I sent a letter to my people, explaining the situation and my response in detail. Yesterday we spent the day dealing with this issue as a congregation. In the morning service, I used my own experience to explain our Christian responsibility to love those who are hurting. I wrestled with God over this message the whole week. By Saturday night I was defeated, but I didn't have time to write the sermon. So, I had to preach without much preparation. I think I broke nearly every rule of preaching. However, it was clear that God was moving in our hearts. I confessed my own failure and anger. I pleaded with the people to learn from my sin and love instead of hate. I took a risk and put myself out there to be beaten and bruised. I was overwhelmed to see the congregation respond with one heart. Instead of criticism, anger or pain, they loved. There was confession, and hugging and a sincere desire to face our fears and love others. Many, including myself, were afraid this news would divide the church. Instead, we have been revived. One person said this would not have happened years ago. It was a refreshing and healing morning.
In the evening we had a short meeting, but I had announced that anyone who had questions could come after the meeting. I promised to stay until every question was answered. We talked and faced some hard issues together. We examined God's word and we expressed our true selves -- no more Sunday masks. After two hours, everyone had an expression of awe. The word "wow" was heard throughout the building. People stayed after and talked, cried, and hugged. One young lady said "I don't ever want to leave here no matter what happens."

This is just one instance of God using this situation to change people in a positive way. I'm inspired by this pastor's courage to face the situation with brutal honesty and integrity.

A few other points to make regarding the titular question:
1. God decides what happens in the future, we don't. As Romans 8:28 says:
"God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to {His} purpose." Claiming that this situation will bring terrible things to SAU, or "the body of Christ" flies in the face of God's promise. Be careful of underestimating God's power.
2. You can only live your calling. The actions of others may be hard to understand, and even seem detrimental, but it is God who takes our sacrifices and makes them good.
3. If you find yourself in a situation that you can't find any good in, do what you can to make some. Jesus raised the dead. He turned funerals into joyful celebrations. In the Old Testament, Benaiah pursued a lion into a snowy pit and killed it. How's that for making a bad situation good?

2 comments:

Bruce_Almighty said...

This is from Laura. We're both still having a hard time logging into this blog. This is in response to Leo's comments.

Wow. What a wonderful, caring, non-judgemental and courageous congregation! "Sunday Masks"...hmmm.

Julie, I admire you for not hiding behind yours. To take off your "Sunday Mask" takes great courage. It requires a soul search most find too painful, so we point the finger at the "obvious" sin, thus taking the easy way out.

Anonymous said...

the above is actually in response to the pastor's letter that Josh received