Thursday, February 15, 2007

A Bit of Levity - What's In a Name?

I feel like this blog could use a bit of levity amidst the theological discussion, legal stuff, and small town politics. So, here's the deal: My wife and I are expecting a baby in September. While we can deal with the confusion of my Dad's identity, we don't expect our little one to get it right away. To help avoid confusion, we thought we'd come up with some name other than "grandma" or "grandpa" that our child can call Julie. My Dad isn't quite like a normal grandma, and certainly won't be a normal grandpa (though that is the position Julie will occupy on the family tree). So, I'm thinking that a different name might help to solve the semanitic issues. The only problem is, I have no idea what a good name might be. So, I'm throwing it open to you guys. Please give your best ideas in the comments.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a toughie. I'd suggest "Napa" or "Pana": a combination of the somewhat common "Nana" and "Papa" that grandparents are sometimes called.

koyaanisqatsi said...

Why don't you just wait and see what your child comes up with as they grow up? That's how one of my relatives got their nicknames. When I was two I had an aunt who was, well, rather plump, and I called her a pumpkin. Til this day she is still known affectionately as Aunt Pumpkin. I'm sure your kid will think of something cute.

Julie Nemecek said...

Kids do have very creative and accepting minds. I like Pana (pronounced Pahnah) better than the wine or auto parts sounding Napa.

DC Nemesis said...

One I had thought of was Grandoa, alphabetically, it is between Grandpa and Grandma.

Bruce_Almighty said...

Julie,

If I remember correctly, you were a fine wine connaisseur, therefore I'd lean toward napa.

Autumn Sandeen said...

I'd just use a non-English language term for grandma or grandparent. Some examples:

Ajji
Babushka
Gogo
Phar-Phar (Swedish for father's father)
Vo-Vo
Oma
Nai Nai

Here's a website with a list of grandparent nicknames one could select from.

Anonymous said...

I think Grand-One, Grand-Doctor, or Grandma's Significant Other (GSO) are some possibilities. Let me know what you decide, so I can follow suit in the not so near future.

--Mike

Julie Nemecek said...

"Your emminence" would also work. :)

Gwenhwyfar said...

better than the wine or auto parts sounding Napa.

hahahaha...

"Your emminence" would also work. :)

I like it! I might use it myself.
Seriously though, I agree with koyaanisqatsi. My grandparents will forever be Nanny and Papa because my cousin could get he mouth around grandma and grandpa and my uncle will forever be "Boo" because he couldn't say Burt. (On the other side of the family they're VERY german, so we had Omi and Opa.)