Saturday, February 24, 2007

Saturday Feature: In TG Shoes

I figured I'd make a new regular Saturday Feature for the blog's regular readers. I want to provide something to think about that might help understand some of what it must be like to be Transgendered. I'll be the first to admit that there is a lot about Gender Identity Disorder and TGness that I don't understand, and some that I don't think I can. It is hard to imagine what it might be like to be someone completely different in your head than you are on the outside.

However, if we can try to understand a little bit about how it might feel, it is incumbent upon us to do. Jesus called us to weep with those who weep, and rejoice with those who rejoice. This kind of compassion starts with empathy.

This week, I thought I'd turn the tables around a bit. Instead of talking about my Dad, who is . . . "gracefully advanced" . . . I found a video on YouTube that talks about Transgendered children, and it is mainly addressed to their families. I don't know if I would take all of the recommendations that this organization suggests for raising TG children, but it is a very difficult to imagine how I would deal with it.
So, I can't say I'd fully endorse the message of this video, but it should at least make you think and feel. Also, you'll find that alot of the issues for TG children are the same as they are for adults. Enjoy the video.

2 comments:

Julie Nemecek said...

Thanks. I cried and yes many of the issues are the same for adults.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing the link to this video, and for honestly expressing your opinion of it. In turn, I'm honestly curious (not in a judgmental way) which suggestions in the video you are not comfortable with. As a transgendered person since childhood it all seems pretty self-evident to me, and I'd like to understand what about this might seem controversial to someone who's not.

If you click my name to go to my web page you can log in as Guest Reader, password topshelf, and send me a personal message by clicking on one of the "Write to Author" links.