Sunday, February 11, 2007

Going Public, or Why I Blog

Someone anonymously posted a question that basically said "Why go public with this?" I thought I'd respond with a post, because I'm sure it is a common question. While I can't speak for my father, I know why I am writing this blog, which I think is a related question. This is not the first time a transgendered person has been discriminated against by their employer, and it probably won't be the last. However, if we draw attention to it, people will at least be aware of the issue, and may act to prevent a similar situation where they work. This might happen at a Christian College or University, where they take steps to define where the stand on the issue in advance, so that they might have a BFOQ. Or the issue may cause them to seek to understand more about what it means to be transgendered, and they might put affirmative policies in place. Either way it prevents illegal discrimination. While we can't eliminate these types of situations entirely, we can hope to lessen them.

If you think Spring Arbor University has taken a stance that is incorrect, publicity might help to change their minds. I assume SAU makes decisions like these with some regard for what their supporters (financial and otherwise) might think about the issue. If they have taken a position that is different than what these supporters might wish them to take, the only way for them to hear that is to make the story public. Most of those that care about this situation probably now know about it. If enough contact SAU, they may choose to moderate their stance and be more open to a reasonable mediation (even a reinstatement?), preventing this from having to go to court. Of course, many people will not make up their minds immediately upon hearing about the story. Those open-minded individuals will want to hear from different perspectives. That is what this blog is about: having a discussion.

In revealing this story to the press, some activist groups may try to claim that this story in fact supports their cause. This is what activist groups do. They spin a story and try and use it to further their own cause. Honestly, I think many activists have tried to spin this story to support their cause against the facts at hand. For instance, my father is not gay. We can't stop an activist group from doing what they will with the story, but we can be true to the facts of the case, and state how we view the issue in situations like this. The point of going public is not to rile up activist groups, but to hopefully further understanding and allow open-minded people to decide on the facts. Activist groups are pretty close-minded, so there is really no purpose in trying to have a discussion with them.

The anonymous poster noted that (paraphrasing) "it is easy to make scripture say what you want it to." I agree that there are ways of "proof-texting" for many arguments, but that is far from being a "Biblical stance." Acceptable methods for interpreting scripture will not look at a single verse, but also the verse in relation to other verse which might address the issue. When you look at all the verse that might apply, you may find you still can reach different conclusions. If the Bible does not decide an issue, we as Christians may take different viewpoints, but we should be gracious with those who disagree. There are many things that are "non-essentials" in the Christian faith, and I'd put whether it is acceptable to wear jewelry or not in the same category.

Another side note: I've seen more anonymous commentors then I typically do on other blogs. That's okay. I understand that this is a difficult issue to talk about, and I hope the ability to comment anonymously allows more to participate in this discussion. If possible, though, I'd ask that anonymous commentors use some way of differentiating themselves from the other anonymous commentors, so that we know you're not really all the same person.

11 comments:

Bruce_Almighty said...

Josh, about the anonymous comments...I've had to make one, not because I didn't wish to be associated with my comments, but the login feature totally blows. I'm bruce_almighty, aka bruce_p (I had troubles with my bruce_almighty account) so the only way I could post was through the anonymous option.

DC Nemesis said...

thanks. Is there something I can change that will make it work better?

Bruce_Almighty said...

Josh, I wish I knew. Web design isn't my bag, and for all we know, you may not have any control over it.

Bruce_Almighty said...

Follow up: it may be the browser on my home computer. That computer has been a bit quirky since I loaded an antivirus program back in October.

Anonymous said...

Josh,
I really feel the whole thing with your father is very emotional and sensitive to a great cross-section of our society. This whole conflict with SAU is a no-win situation. The school has their principles and your father has his. I don't feel that court action is going to benefit anyone. I think your father should find employment at another school that doesn't have such restrictions. It sounds like your father has great qualifications and should have no problem finding a good position.

DC Nemesis said...

Fred-

Spring Arbor is also proof-reading and editing any references from the university before they go out the door. The school has yet to state what their principles are on this matter, except that they claim his actions are "not biblical." I don't know that letting the school discriminate and just get away with it is helping anything now or in the future. A court case can set precedent, and a publicized settlement can give others caution. Walking away does neither of these.

Anonymous said...

Josh,

I think you forget that many faculty, students, their parents, alumni, and donors are never going to accept your father's behavior. So I guess you would have to weigh the numbers in this situation. If your father is adamant about dragging the university into a legal court battle to get his needs and desires met (and maybe the needs of a few other transgendered individuals who may encounter similar issues in the future), you are going to do a lot of financial and other type of harm to the university. You could say that the university could prevent this from happening by reinstating your father, but this, like I said, will likely be unacceptable to many people affiliated with the university. I am afraid that your father trying to prove his point is going to hurt many more people than is necessary and this troubles me at a very deep level.

Julie Nemecek said...

So let the university destroy a life and hide behind platitudes of religiosity is a better option?

Anonymous said...

If there were good options and bad options, would there really be any sort of question at all? I don't want to see the university tank, but I don't want to see Prof. N. get shafted, either.

This truly is an issue that needs to be discussed within the contexts of the church (and the conservative church especially)- which I think will be very beneficial for the body of Christ- and without reasonable exploration and discussion we're back in the Dark Ages.

Finally, as someone who understands suicide and suicidal ideation, this truly is a life-or-death issue. For those who see this situation as a soapbox, get off it. For those who see it as a religious-philosophical opportunity for debate, open your eyes to the personal realities of the situation. It's not worth dying for. The media maelstrom makes it easy to forget that there's a person at the center of it.

DC Nemesis said...

Thank you David for pointing the "life-or-death" issue out. I'm sure there are many at Spring Arbor that would be "hurt" if my father were allowed to work there. Mostly, it would offend their sensibilities, and maybe hurt their pride. If they have worked for years trying to keep SAU "pure" by their own definition they may be enraged. None of those I think approach the magnitude of the pain of those excluded from a community and accused by many of being "unchristian." One way allows a community to deal with a change, through difficulty. The other focuses all the attention on a single individual or only a few, in an attempt to shame and humiliate them.

Julie Nemecek said...

Whose kid is that? Hugs JJ